You will need a large stove and oven safe pot and a metal roasting rack that fits inside that pot.
At least 1 pound lamb shoulder, bone on (have your butcher cut into 2” pieces)
2 tablespoons Canola oil
1 organic yellow onion, chopped
2 cups basmati rice
6 cups water, divided
1 tablespoon Salt (for the rice)
Marinade/Spice Rub (for 1 pound of lamb):
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 lemons, juiced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon SMOKED paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
1 tablespoon cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place lamb in large prep bowl and hand mix it with your spice rub ensuring it’s all coated. If you’re going to begin cooking immediately, no need to put lamb back in refrigerator. Allow it to come to room temp while it marinates on your counter. You CAN do a 24 hour marinade in a covered bowl in the refrigerator if you plan ahead. I did not and found the flavors to be wonderful as is.
2. Soak basmati rice and then rinse until water runs clear, usually a 20 minute soak.
3. Heat canola oil over medium-high heat in your pot and go ahead and sauté your onion.
4. Add rice and salt and stir.
5. Add all the water and stir, allow to boil and then cut heat.
6. Place your roasting rack on top of rice and water and assemble your lamb on the rack.
7. Cover pot with aluminum foil using two sheets so they overlap a little in the middle and fold tightly over the sides. I poke a few holes in the top of the aluminum with a fork or kebab skewer.
8. Place entire pot in the oven on a middle rack for 1 hour.
9. After an hour, remove the pot from the oven and pull out the roasting rack with lamb on top. At this point, if you have another ovensafe dish you can add 3 cups of water to it and place the roasting rack with lamb in this new pot/dish, cover with the aluminum foil, and put right back in the oven for 2 more hours.
10. Use a fork to fluff up your rice and cover it until it’s time to eat!
11. Remove lamb from oven and let rest. With gloves, remove bones from lamb, garnish with parsley and serve.